Official State of Iowa Website Here is how you know
Iowa Department of Human Rights

Frequently Asked Questions

Within the Iowa Department of Human Rights, the Community Action Agencies have several programs to help:

For information and referral, call 2-1-1 or visit
If you live in central Iowa, Every Step Care & Support Services has a directory of services.

I need help with basic life skills. For example: How to take the bus; How to apply for a job; How to get a driver's license. If you are a refugee, the Iowa Department of Human Services and Lutheran Services in Iowa can provide assistance.

Find additional Iowa Immigrant and Refugee resources here.

You can find a listing of free/low cost clinics at Free Clinics of and

The Partnership for Prescription Assistance can help locate an appropriate program.

Here is a list of funding sources for hearing aids.

Here is a list of assistive technology resources.

Relay Iowa can provide information on telecommunication assistance.
Iowa Compass and the Hearing Loss Association also have information regarding financial assistance programs.

You can apply for Social Security Disability online, by phone or in person at a local Social Security office.

Iowa does not have government sponsored short-term disability, but some employers offer this as a benefit or the individual may be covered by the Family Medical Leave Act or Worker's Compensation.

The Americans with Disabilities Act provides standards for physical accessibility and program and services for State and Local Government and Private and Public entities.

To file an employment discrimination complaint contact Iowa Civil Rights Commission.
To file a complaint regarding public accommodation contact the US Dept of Justice.

You can find licensed sign language interpreters at Deaf Services Commission of Iowa and

The U.S. Government has a language access website. The National Association of the Deaf and the Job Accommodation Network can also address this issue.

You may report discrimination or file a complaint with the Iowa Civil Rights Commission.

If a government agency was involved, you may contact the Citizen's Aide/Ombudsman Office.

The Iowa Civil Rights Commission has information on workplace rights. You may also report discrimination or file a complaint.

The Iowa Division of Labor Services is responsible for programs designed to protect the safety, health and economic security of all Iowans.

If you have questions about your paycheck, wages, tips, work hours, overtime, breaks, vacation pay, or the Family Medical Leave Act, contact the U.S. Department of Labor's Wage and Hour Division.

If you believe your employer or union has committed an unfair labor practice, contact the National Labor Relations Board.

If you need an attorney for a civil matter, but are unable to afford one, contact Iowa Legal Aid.

The Iowa State Bar Association can provide names of lawyers in your area.

You can find information at Divorce: Things to Consider.