You are here

FAQs - 15.00 Crisis Program

Section 15.00 Crisis Program 

The questions below apply to the Crisis Program section of the LIHEAP Policy and Procedures Manual. 

Return to Main Page

The contractor should complete a change order form, similar to what is required in the Weatherization Program. This helps us track changes that were made from the original work order. Weatherization also requires that the contractor sign/date the form (to confirm they requested the change) and the agency staff person approving the change must sign/date it as well (to ensure the contractor didn’t make a change without approval). The change order, invoice, and approved inspection (work passed the inspection process) must be done before the work can be paid. You can obtain a sample change order from your Weatherization Program.

Because the furnace which heats the main part of the home is not working, the situation qualifies for assistance.

When in doubt, call the State for guidance.

Typically, ECIP does not defer work in a home. However, if in doubt, contact the state for guidance.

Yes, ECIP funds can be used to pay for baseboard heat repair and replacement. If the rest needs to be brought up to city code, ECIP funds may be used, within the $3,000 expenditure limit. If the work will exceed the limit, the balance must be paid with other funds.

No. This is sheet is for the agency inspector.

No. Although it is best practice to receive a minimum of three bids for work to be done, it is not required when using ECIP-only funds. Any weatherization-approved contractor able to perform the work can be assigned the job without sending it out for bid.

It should be noted that sending the work out for bid is required when ECIP is used in conjunction with Weatherization funds.

Yes, but please remember there is an expenditure limit threshold. If the additional work will cause it to go over the limit, contact the state office for approval.

Yes. Because the bids are public documents, you are welcome to, and even encouraged, to share the results with the contractors who bid on the work.

Yes, Crisis funds can be used to pay a propane arrearage, under the Service Continuity component. Regular LIHEAP benefits can only pay for charges beginning October 1st of the current fiscal year.

No. We cannot use any LIHEAP funds to pay for an LP detector.


Refer the applicant to other resources.

If possible, provide the household with a space heater. If funds are replenished, repair or replace the furnace at that time.

Complete a crisis application and pay the past due amount, if possible.

Pay for the part and the new furnace, within expenditure limits.

Yes. HHS (and the State) monitors how quickly crises are addressed, so any documentation you make will benefit you and your agency by showing that you fulfilled the timeframe requirement.

Yes. You can find more information at the Propane Gas Association website (bottom of the page).

ECIP-only funds can be used to repair/replace the furnace on the homeowner’s side as he is the LIHEAP applicant. The other side’s furnace cannot be repaired/replaced.

Yes – anything $500 and over.

No, per Appendix G – Heating System Installation Standards.

No. A rent-to-own agreement is buying a house on an installment plan without obligating you to the purchase (see for more information).

The agreement would have to be notarized and recorded at a courthouse in order for the customer to be eligible for work to be done to their heating unit.  

Yes. Note, that if the previous repairs were made this heating season, make sure that the cost of the previous repairs and the current repairs won’t exceed the expenditure limit. If the total of the two will exceed the limit, request an expenditure waiver from the State.