Student Application - Deadline February 1, 2017
2017 Staff Application - Deadline April 1, 2017
- 2017 Staff Application - Due April 1, 2017
Wanted: Future Community Leaders
The Office of Persons with Disabilities in partnership with the Department for the Blind and Iowa Vocational Rehabilitation Services is sponsoring a leadership training program for students with disabilities. Approximately 40 sophomores, juniors and seniors with disabilities will be selected. Students will be diverse in disability, gender, ethnicity, and geographical location.
What kind of students participate in the Youth Leadership Forum?
Young People Who Have Disabilities and Who...
- Demonstrate Leadership Potential
- Demonstrate Involvement/Interest in Extracurricular Activities (such as Sports, the Arts, or Music)
- Demonstrate Community Involvement
- Demonstrate the Ability to Interact Effectively with Other Students
What will happen at the forum?
- Share information on choosing careers, history or disability culture, assistive technology for independence;
- Identify existing barriers to personal and professional success and develop plans to remove those barriers;
- Develop a "Personal Leadership Plan";
- Interact with others with similar Hopes and Dreams.
- Young people with disabilities will become employed and self-sufficient;
- Young people with disabilities will be knowledgeable about resources available to them to become successfule adults;
- Young people with disabilities will be exposed to professionals with disabilities who are recognized leaders and role models.
- Mileage will be reimbursed at the rate of .25/mile to help offset the cost of transportation to and from the forum. There are no other expenses.
Exciting, fun, educational five-day leadership training program includes: tour of the State Capitol, meeting with community leaders with disabilities, and hearing from speakers.