You are here


iowa commission on the status of women logo

The Iowa Commission on the Status of Women (ICSW) is made up of seven Governor-appointed commissioners. Like all statewide boards and commissions, the ICSW is balanced for gender and political affiliation.

According to Iowa Code 216A.54, the Iowa Commission on the Status of Women has the following powers and duties:

  1. Study the opportunities for and changing needs of the women and girls of this state.
  2. Serve as liaison between the office and the public, sharing information and gathering constituency input.
  3. Recommend to the board the adoption of rules pursuant to chapter 17A as it deems necessary for the commission and office.
  4. Recommend legislative and executive action to the governor and general assembly.
  5. Establish advisory committees, work groups, or other coalitions as appropriate.

2016-2019 strategic plan: ICSW strategic plan

Strategic Goals & Policy Priorities: 2016-2019 Strategic Goals


2018 Iowa Women's Hall of Fame Selection Committee

  • Sherill Whisenand, commissioner
  • Wendy Musgrave, commissioner
  • Sean Bagniewski, commissioner
  • Beth Coonan, ex officio member of committee/vice-chair of commission
  • Betty Andrews, public member
  • Emily Duong, public member

Public Policy Committee

  • Tom Carnahan, commissioner
  • Dave Gudenkauf, commissioner

Iowa Women at Work Project Committee

  • Rachelle Hunt Russian, commissioner
  • Beth Coonan, commissioner
  • Tom Carnahan, commissioner

Talent Bank Project Committee

  • Sherill Whisenand, commissioner

If you would like more information on the ICSW or on the Office on the Status of Women within the Iowa Department of Human Rights, please e-mail us.

The Commission works closely with the Office on the Status of Women to achieve its goals.


Sherill Whisenand
Sean Bagniewski
Rachelle Hunt Russian
David Gudenkauf
Photo of Beth Coonan
Commission Vice-Chair
Picture of Tom Carnahan
Picture of Wendy Musgrave

If you are interested in applying to serve on a state Board or Commission, please apply through the Office of the Governor.